Hopkins and Alfred Clock Shop

Edward Hopkins and Agustus Alfred were partners around 1834 in the clock making business. The business that these two industrialists ran was a classic example of Yankee Ingenuity. Waterpower from the Naugatuck River, held back by a dam and channeled through a canal to the great waterwheel, powered the machine tools. These included one engine lathe (large lathe), three smaller turning lathes and two pinion lathes. When Alfred's estate was processed after his death in 1864, he also owned a large number of hand tools. Screw plates, dies, drills, files etc were all coveted in his collection. He had special tools for making rifles and carpenter tools and even blacksmith tools.

A press, specially built in 1855 by Alfred and used for stamping out small clock parts, survives today and is owned by the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C.

 

Next Page