The First District Schoolhouse Restored

The First District or “Center” Schoolhouse, originally located near the base of Center Hill (Litchfield Road/Route 4) alongside Lead Mine Brook was built in 1840 and served the children of Harwinton (Grades 1 through 8) until the Harwinton Consolidated School was built in 1948. The one-room schoolhouse was moved to its present location (Consolidated School property owned by Regional School District #10) in 1972 by the Lions Club of Harwinton and restored by the Harwinton Historical Society in 1973.

Click on the thumbnails below for a larger picture