"Leveled by Fire"

On Wednesday evening, July 20, 1949 at about 10:00 p.m. the town was shaken by a thunderstorm. Moving in from the West, this storm would trigger the event that would forever change the "Face of Harwinton."

The ediface was believed to have been struck about 10:00 p.m. although the fire was not discovered until after 11:00 p.m. Motorists traveling past the church around 10:00 p.m. had noticed pieces of clapboard in the road that was probably tossed from the steeple when the bolt hit. The Rev. Guthrie Swartz spotted the fire in the steeple and was the one who reported the fire to Hans Thiemann, deputy chief of the Harwinton Fire Department.

At the height of the blaze water was played on surrounding houses to keep them from bursting into flames from the intense heat and flaming embers.

As a four year old child on that fateful day, I remember very little. As a pre-schooler I do remember my mother and me standing on the bottom of our South Road driveway the next day and looking north to where the familiar structure that stood so proudly for over 140 years was simply no longer there. To most of the families living on South Road, this view was the "Face of Harwinton." That face would now be changed forever.
I remember seeing the bell, which at one time would toll when someone died, once for each year that a townsperson was on this earth, laying silently on it's side down by the Kellogg House.

I remember at some point being on North Road and seeing the still smoldering hole marking where the church once stood. This was probably the next evening with my Dad.

The people of the town were quick to react and within 24 hours a special meeting was held in the new consolidated school auditorium. This meeting was attended by over 300 people and they quickly voted to form a committee to lead the rebuilding program before it was even voted to rebuild. Over $6,000 was pledged that very first night along with materials and volunteer labor. All of this took place while the ashes were still smoldering in the hole at the top of the hill.

Soon the bell, unharmed by the fire, was hauled up to the remaining stone steps and placed right side up at the top step.
was the rallying cry.

Next Page